Tuesday, November 6, 2007

From Clifford Stoll, High Tech Heretic, ©1999 371.334STO

The article that I read about the PowerPoint taking the place of the the lecture slides of the past intrigued me. Since I am an older student, the PowerPoint was a new concept too me. I have seen many many PowerPoints in the last year. The ones that are generated by students have been really quite amazing. The ones that are part of instruction and lecture have some merit, but after awhile it can become boring and painful to try and get through slide after slide.
It was interesting how the article discussed the younger generation using the PowerPoint presentation to get out of doing research and hard work to put together a PowerPoint to slack off.
Because the younger generation know the computer techniques, it often is not hard work for students at all.
Once again, it is essential that there is some balance in how much technology is too much. It is clear that instructors need to set clear expectations for their students of what is acceptable. Nothing takes the place of good old fashioned content knowledge. Today, it is evident that technology is just another way that learning can be demonstrated and shared in the classroom.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Jan~

I totally agree that the powerpoint is a new concept as it is for me as well. I remember when I was going to the tech and powerpoint was very new. They were very boring and, in my opinion, pretty useless. Today they are amazing. After seeing what our classmates can put together blows me away. It is really interesting that these things are so easy to do.

Children has a vast knowledge of technology and I think a lot of times their intent may not to be lazyby doing a powerpoint, but to use a creative side that seems to have been taken away from so many of them through budget cuts and what not. It is alot more exciting and rewarding to be able to create a wonderful powerpoint than to have to sit down and write a research paper. Yes, it may be less work since the children are so fluent with these programs, but it may also be more satisfying.