Sunday, October 7, 2007

Reasons why technology is important in the classroom

There is evidence that supports that technology can help provide for developing concrete concepts, for example by visually representing abstract concepts at a faster rate, or by providing scaffolding to build upon cognitive development. Many software programs provide students with the information to use problem solving skills that will help them carry out tasks that will in essence create logical thinking naturally.
Technology, can also prepare students for what lies ahead in the future. I know from a personal standpoint that not having the computer skills that younger cohort students have acquired, has greatly affected my level of proficiency. It takes me so much longer to perform computer related tasks. Although, I am developing better computer skills out of sheer neccessity.
As students become confident with technology, the article indicated that students self-esteem is also higher. In our preschool setting, I have observed the children who are already confident in their ability to maneuver through a computer game.
http://www.ed.gov/pubs/EdReformStudies/EdTech/reasons.html#future

1 comment:

Erin said...

It is amazing the amount of knowledge children do have when it comes to technology. There are times at work when a child askes a question and I will send him to another child because they can answer it quicker than I can. I am not familiar with the programs the children learn with at work so there are times when I have no clue but the other children know how to help.

This sounds like a great article. I will have to look into it.